Saturday, November 27, 2010

Home is where the heart will always be


It had been 85 days since I’d been home. It had been 85 days since I’d driven a car. It had been 105 days since I’d seen one of my best friends. And thankfully, it had been only 30 days since I’d seen my parents.
            But this is a long time to be away from the home I’d known for nineteen years. On my recent trip home for Thanksgiving, I reflected on some of the things I am so thankful to have in my life, things about home that I miss.
            The first thing I realized I missed was the view of endless majestic mountains staring me down as I drive west. I knew I would miss the great Rocky Mountains, but who knew I would miss them so much.
            The next thing I missed was not having to have my Husky card on me at all times. This card, which is just my school ID, is my life; it is my room key, my meal swipe, it allows me to get into my building, and it has my laundry dollars on it. If I lost my Husky card, I would be lost, hence the post-it note on my door that says, “Got your Husky card?” The first thing I did when I got home, I was in my room and as I was leaving I reached toward my desk for my Husky card. Just a habit I guess.
            The next two things I miss have to do with the bathroom. It really shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone that I miss having a bathroom to myself instead of sharing with 57 other girls.
            I miss taking a shower without shoes on. It was so nice to just jump in the shower without squeaky flip flops, not to mention the odd sensation that your feet naturally dry before the synthetic material flip flops are made of do.
            And never again will I take quilted 2-ply toilet paper for granted. The cheap sandpaper toilet paper that comes in bulk will do in the occasional public restroom, but I will never be that cheap.
            I also missed my parents, sitting on the couch doing absolutely nothing, eating home-cooked meals, and driving.
            So I am thankful for the view Colorado provided me all those years, my wonderful parents who provide me with the opportunity to miss these things because I am at a great school and the opportunity to do absolutely nothing at home if I so choose.
            Home was different and the same. I have changed a lot in the past 85 days, so I guess I expected home to change too, but it didn’t. I slid right into my old routines; home was still home. I am thankful for this, because my heart will always have a place to run home to. Because no matter what I do, where I go or who I become, 10160 Vrain Ct. Westminster, CO 80031 with Pat and Judy Quinlan will always be where my heart is.
          

No comments:

Post a Comment