Sunday, December 12, 2010

Season's Greetings from Boston


Everyone buys their baby a “Baby’s first Christmas” ornament, in fact, I still have mine, but maybe they should make a “College student’s first Christmas” ornament.
            This ornament, at least for me, would need to say quite a lot. It would need to be symbolic of every emotion not just the Christmas season can bring for a college student, but also every emotion I experienced the past four months.
            We’ll begin with Christmas, though, to start simple. As everyone returned from Thanksgiving break, the Christmas carols came on, the door decorations went up and the gift buying frenzy began.
I too got into the Christmas spirit; however, it was different than it had ever been in years past. Of course the shopping was fantastic in the city. With just about any store you can think of a T ride from my dorm, I was in Christmas shopping heaven.
But I miss the Colorado snow (and I think most Coloradoans do too this year). I miss the smell of the pine tree in my living room (lucky for me, my parents are waiting to put up the tree with me). I miss the lights in my neighborhood (especially the Santa and reindeer lights outside my own bedroom window). I miss baking Christmas lemon squares, peanut butter chestnuts, toffee and fudge with my mom (she better have some ready when I get home). I miss the Christmas quilt that hangs from our banister and shaking the gifts that appear under the tree.
Absence certainly does make the heart grow fonder. Last year, I did not want to bother with the lights on the tree, put up the Nativity scene or wrap the several gifts my mother bought for others. Now, I miss those traditions. So for a college student who misses home anyway, Christmas is the perfect time to head home for the holidays.
So that ornament should be a heart to stand for the place in my heart I hold my home.
This past semester I went from scared and anxious, to excited and surprised, to angry and hurt, to homesick and nostalgic, to accepting of the whole experience.
I have come a long way since Aug. 30. I am excited to head home for three weeks, but I also think I will miss school. I will miss my friends and the city.
So that heart ornament should also have the Boston skyline, perhaps a husky (my school mascot) and a periwinkle purse (an inside joke between me and my friends).
Goodbye Boston, have a wonderful Christmas without me. I’ll be in my lovely home state of Colorado where God can give me a white Christmas (fingers crossed). I will be back before long and we can have even more adventures in the spring. 
Me and some friends, Chelsea and Kait, at the Christmas tree in Boston Commons.
 Merry Christmas! 

No comments:

Post a Comment