Friday, January 7, 2011

Returning Home


In one of my first blog entries I wrote about the importance of remembering where you come from in order to move progressively towards the future. This past week I had the chance to go back to some of my roots and take my own advice.
            Now I didn’t want to be one of those pathetic kids who comes back to high school the first chance they have simply because they can’t let go of high school, but I did go back to Holy Family anyway.
            I told myself it was because I wanted to wish my best friend’s younger sister a happy 16th birthday at school. But I was using this as an excuse to go back and see all the teachers I really did miss. I wanted an excuse to go back and show everyone, “Hey, look, I made it.”
            Going back reminded me of all the things I did miss about high school, but it also helped me to see that moving on is a good thing.
            It helped me to see that life goes on without you sometimes, so don’t dwell on that and live your own life. Holy Family certainly kept going, even without the Class of 2010. However, it was comforting to know that we are missed.
            The best thing about going back was seeing the pride in my former teachers’ faces when they heard I was succeeding.
I got the chance to talk to a few students about my college experiences. I remember being a junior in high school with college on the horizon like it was yesterday. I blinked and here I am about to head back to school in Boston for my second semester of my first year of college.
But talking to the students made me realize that no matter how many people tell you about college, how many books you read about it, how much you prepare for it, college is a surprise.
You just have to take that leap from high school to college with blind faith that Holy Family gave you everything you need to succeed. I learned for myself that they did.
Mr. Gumerlock gave me a good sense of humor to take with me. Mr. Good taught me some very important advice about beginnings. Mr. Bishop and Mr. Domko gave me self-confidence in my academic habits. Mrs. Prew gave me some important lessons about letting go and being myself no matter what. Mr. Blair taught me to always believe in myself. Mr. Galmish taught me that I wasn’t screwed for college assignments. And Mr. Wilson taught me that I would end up at the college where I was supposed to be.
They all made me into a great college student ready for success. It was good to look back at Holy Family because now I’m focused to begin again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment