Saturday, April 9, 2011

A Spring Awakening


Spring has finally arrived. It is 60 degrees and sunny today in Boston with the perfect spring breeze. The birds chirp, the skirts have come out of the bottom of the drawer from under all those sweaters, and the smiles have returned to the faces around me.
            I have always loved spring because it is not just a literal emergence from a cold, dark winter, but also a metaphorical rebirth of life and enthusiasm. That sentence of parallelism and rich vocabulary would have made my high school English teacher very happy. And it makes me happy too.
            Spring gives me the promise of a clean slate. I can start again with new motivation. I can have a new style, new opportunities and a new attitude. I am ready to forge through the busy springtime with my head held high, confident that I will finish my freshmen year of college strong.
            This weather and season makes me want to pick some flowers, go to a baseball game, run through a park, go for a hike and sing at the top of my lungs. The spring rain makes me want to splash through the puddles in my Wellies.
            Whether I do these things or not, I am ready to start anew and welcome the summer with all my heart.  

No comments:

Post a Comment