Friday, April 1, 2011

A Spring Slump


I’m finally starting to feel the stresses of college. Maybe it’s just this time of year when everything is starting to wrap up that everything gets crazy, but I am in a spring slump.
            With just four weeks left in the semester, I have to cram nine papers, two quizzes, four finals and packing up into my final moments as a college freshman. Not to mention registering for next fall’s classes, applying for housing with five other girls and finding a summer internship. 
            I am incredibly overwhelmed and stressed. As fast as I want the next four weeks to go, I know they will be over in the blink of an eye. Time flies even when you’re stressed.
            The past weeks have been wearing on me and with so much on the horizon I miss home more than I have all year. I’ve discovered there are three stages of homesickness.
            The first stage is when you unconsciously miss things about home. For instance, saying, “I miss eating Which Wich.” Missing the people you love and are used to seeing so frequently also comes with this stage.
Then comes the aching stage. This is when you ache right down to the bones to go home. You don’t voice how you are feeling because most of the time you feel fine, but then it hits you like a pile of bricks, and you just ache.
Next comes the full on melt down. Crying into the phone because you are sick of living with a roommate, you are sick of school, and you just want to go home where your mom can make your favorite dinner, and you can watch your favorite episode of Gilmore Girls.
Needless to say, I reached all three stages this year. I unconsciously missed my home state for the first semester and first half of second semester. Next I ached to go home, but with everything piling up, I reached melt down stage this week.
But I think I was pretty lucky to escape from the condition for so long. I knew the crying would come, and to be frank I thought it would be a lot sooner than April.
I guess I got lucky, but I’m pretty sure that the only cure for homesickness is home. So I can’t wait to get home to the gorgeous Colorado weather, no more of this snow in April nonsense, Boston. I can’t wait to not have a million things on my mind. I can’t wait to go home.
But don’t get me wrong. Just because I miss home doesn’t mean I hate it here. I’m just ready to free myself of stress and missing that place that makes me who I am. 

No comments:

Post a Comment