Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Things, they are a-changin'

The first thing people would say to me when I told them I was going to school in Boston was, “Wow, that’s far.” But the second thing most would say was, “Wow, that’s different.”
            Many have asked me if I’ve noticed the difference between Boston and Colorado yet. And the answer is yes… and no. But what I can tell you is that things, “they are a-changin’.”
            Who can say I didn’t expect change when I moved to a new city with a new environment and new circumstances shaping who I am becoming. I did; I am not naïve enough to think things wouldn’t change, but I perhaps the fact that I was anticipating the change is why it has been manageable.
            Here is what has been different. First and foremost, I have a new unbridled sense of independence. Of course as an only child, I have always had an independent spirit, but never before have I made every decision for myself. I choose what I eat everyday, when to go to sleep, where and when to go out. I also think I was well prepared for this independence. I think I can make responsible decisions that I will never regret.
            Next, the most noticeable thing I see changing is friendships. I have made some pretty solid friendships, which I feel is incredibly lucky. There is Abbie from Portland, Oreg., a six-foot tall blonde with a great of sense of humor and amazingly huge heart. There is Becca from North New Jersey, a fellow Catholic school survivor with a sweet demeanor. There is Kaitlin, a short blonde, proud South New Jerseyan with a bubbly laugh. Then there is Chelsea from upstate New York, another blonde who talks 1,000 miles per hour with sassy sarcasm and a fellow lover of TV. I eat all my meals with them, and we recently went on a shopping trip together bonding over our love for jewelry, shoes and periwinkle purses.
The fact that I spend all my time with my friends is a new concept. At home I would go home and eat dinner with my parents. I would be lucky if I saw my friends outside of school on a school night. But here I never see any of these girls in class; I only see them at meals and outside of “school.”
A few other things that have changed are my bathroom habits, my living environment and attitude, and day-to-day schedule. Using a community bathroom hasn’t been terribly difficult yet. Although, shaving my legs has proven to be a bit of a challenge.
I have never lived with another human being so close to me before, and let’s just say it takes a certain adjustment I haven’t quite gotten used to yet. And every day is different. Some days I think I can predict what I’m going to do with my time, but it always changes. Like I said, things are a-changin’.
But some things never change. I am still a blunt red head with a sweet tooth who likes to go to bed early. I still love Colorado. Just ask my friends; I talk about it all the time. But who wouldn’t talk about such a great state. Things might be a-changin’, but for now, I’m pretty ok with that.
            

No comments:

Post a Comment